Skip to main content

The Arrowmont Experience Pt. 1


I know from previous experience that I had to ask the driver to stop at a grocery store before dropping us off at Arrowmont.  I was feeling so good about having all my ducks in order and then this happened!
I'm sure I screamed WTH because everyone was looking at me but I wasn't the only one in shock.
I was thinking...great!  Now I will have to walk to get my wine.  LOL!!!

Arrowmont for 2 entire weeks!  Yeah....Bring it on.  I can do this...roommate annd all.
I was in Anne Havel's All Fired Up: Who Knew a Torch Could Do All This?
My notebook for ALLLllllll the notes I'm going to take.
OMG!  I don't know where to begin.  I have so much to share.  Let's see...
I fell in love with a cup.
Annnd...then I bought a cup made by Jason B. Burnett.  He had me at the hexagons.
Just an aside here.  I couldn't buy the cup I fell in love with.  Arrowmont has an assortment of ceramic cups in the mess hall to use.  I could post a cup a day on Insta but my friend did that.  :)  So I bought the cup I fell in love with a second time.  See...one can fall in love again and again.
Then I made some stuff.  Not digging it so far but hey they are only samples.
Then I collaborated with my flatmate...Tracy Milligan, printmaker/woodcarver.  Her instagram is tracymilkigan
I prepped the metal and she drew with a pencil (not graphite).  Ooops!  You have to use graphite or it won't stick.
I added some lines, drew over her lines (with a graphite pencil this time), and painted with water color enamels.  It's at this point where I'm realizing that I don't like bright colors very much.  I mean I like it but I don't like it if that makes any sense at all?
I collaborated with my house mate, Patti Moss, ceramist.  Her insta here.  I was asked to make some earrings for her Buddha sculpture.
So earrings I made.
I drew this cholla cactus skeleton and must say diggin' on it very much and did I mention I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRAW!
 I'm also digging this gold peeking out of these earrings I decided to make.
I textured the metal and then used liquid enamel and torched the hell out of it!
Okay, this concludes my first week.  I was EXHAUSTED and my mind was about to EXPLODE!  
Other then that it was a much needed break but we worked through the weekend.
So far I've met some pretty cool people.  A place to discuss process and find out what I do and don't like.  

2nd week coming up next week.  If y'all have any questions just leave me a note.  Have a great weekend!


Namaste
Kalaya

Comments

  1. Two whole weeks? Sounds like heaven :D It looks like you're having fun.
    And I really hope you got your wine......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun but difficult to create on the spot and I did get my wine. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Risk to Bloom

It all started with an acorn button and grew from there. In an earlier post I mentioned this button swap blog hop, that I am participating in, and how I was immediately drawn to the acorn button.  Every day I would hold it in my hand, feel its essence, exam it, and then put it down.  This lasted for about 2 weeks. Then I remembered I had etched an oak tree on to brass when making buttons for my partner Kylie of Lotus Out Loud .  And... so begins the journey of creating something with this wonderful acorn button, which only started yesterday. Haha!  Etched brass was copper riveted to a piece of oak.  Merci beaucoup Papi for finding some oak!   I am using what Jesse taught me in his workshop .  It was the first time trying his technique.  It worked beautifully! The riveted brass was then captured with a piece of pierced copper. Voila! And then the day came  when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to bloom.

Helloooo...Is Anyone Out There?

Yes I know.  I have been off the blogger for awhile.  I swear I've been working!  ;) I have been busy trying to find my own path and I think I have finally found it. Ha!  A lot of "I"'s in that sentance.   So that being said, what exactly have I been doing? Participated in an Upcycle show at RHINO Gallery. In this show we were to use at least 75% recycled material.  This piece was  inspired by the 43 students of Ayotzinapa that were taken on September 27, 2014 and presumbly met a violent death at the hands of corrupt officials and a drug gang. . The initials of all 43 students were etched into the .38 caliber casing. I cried after comleting the piece.  It was so powerful to me. Ghosts   Designed and made earrings. Astro Earrings Sugar Skulls Did a commission. Comission Annnd made one big pendant. Louisiana Opal, sponge coral (grandma's), oxidized silver, 14KY, 22KY Am I having fun yet?   You're DAMN right

Pepe Jump Ring Maker...New Is Not Always Better...

For the follow up (2014) on jump ring makers go here . Introducing Pepe's new AND improved Jump Ring maker... When I received my new jump ring maker I knew the new model was more compact but did not expect it to be so unstable.  It was precarious but I accepted it.  After all I will have jump rings galore with a single swipe!  The outcome outweighed the little difference and yes...I am lazy!  hahaha!!! To the bench I go to test things out. Test No. 1 The first set of jump rings turned out great!  I was satisfied.   ☺ I then received an email saying that the top plate (cover) that came with the system was too thick and needed to be replaced.  Okay.   I receive the new plate but did not test it out until some friends were over and wanted a demo.  Well...it was difficult to place the handpiece collar over the plate.  It did not fit over the coil holding device very well.  I had to finagle it to go in and when I started sawing the handpiece did not move sm