Skip to main content

Authentic Self

Painting or Real?
It's almost a new year and it's that time where I look back to reassess my progress or journey as I like to call it.

Did I set out to get/do the things I wanted?

Annnd...

Were they the things I really wanted?

I find that the things I thought I really wanted weren't the things I wanted at all.
How strange, don't you think?

I am changing, as we all are (hopefully), and in my attempts to be my authentic self you will find some things changing here.  It is my intention to
share my experiences, my passions, my mistakes, and my discoveries.  

Let's start with Nick.  Nick Cave was introduced to me by Sam about two years ago.  Sam had purchased tickets to take me to see this guy.  Now I am not one to go to concerts and I will fight being around crowds and complain to NO END about not wanting to go.  However, I went and I literally could not take my eyes off of Nick.

He demanded attention and attention he received.  
You should have seen him and all the hands in the crowd who reached for him.  Hoping for that one gently touch or even a single brush from his hand or even a glance.

I was watching from the back center isle alone and connected to him for my part.
He has been a part of my life now for two years.


I could listen to Nick Cave all day every day.  

Here is one of my favorite songs written by Leonard Cohen and covered by Nick Cave.

Nick Cave's voice is so haunting.  Interesting how music can trigger an emotion.
Now that would be something to strive for in my work instead of being a pretty piece to adorn yourself with.  

I know most of the pieces I wear provide me with protection, some infuse me with power, and sometimes the piece can make me feel alluring.  However, the question is what does it do to the person who sees it?  So I leave you with this question.

Can a piece of jewelry invoke a feeling to those who see it?


Namaste
Kalaya

Popular posts from this blog

Production...Duction What's Your Function?

Every now and then a little elf steps into the studio while I am working and starts asking these annoying questions.

What are you doing?
Why are you wasting your time working on that?
PRODUCTION WORK?!!!
WTH?!!!

He (yep the little bugger is a "he"), I shall name him Doubt, infects my mind from time to time.  
This all happened last Friday while making some of my New Orleans'  Token pendants.

So I reached down deep inside me to think about the "why".  I thought about it because I was running towards something else and resisting the moment.

As I sat there at my bench working on this particular token pendant here is what came to me.
These particular tokens were minted in 1947 and 1970.  They differ only on what is said on the back (1947 - "One Base Fare" and 1970 - "One Cash Fare") .
 The ones I use for my pendants are minted in 1947.  

I do not clean them up.  Instead I examine them, hold them, turn them over in my hand, and then begin my work.  
I do not…

For The Love Of Bees!!!

Did I ever tell y'all that I absolutely adore bees? I think they are the most amazing beings on the planet.  Well...at this moment I did.  I saw this piece of furniture at University of British Columbia outside its bookstore.  I'm like cool man.  What is this? This totally inspired me.  Yes I looked inside this tiny cells to see if anything was inside but to my disappointment no.
I heard a woman say, hey look at that.  I bet there are bees inside.  Hahahaha!!!  No silly woman.  Tricks are for kids!  hahaha  Cute...very cute that she thought that.
This piece of art/furniture sparked curiosity and that is the AWESOMist thing EVER!  But what is more cool is THIS... Did y'all read that?  Shrooms helped make them.  What a great collaborative endeavor.  How long does a piece of furniture like this last? I have no clue but talk about impermanence. 
I LOVE IT! So there you have it folks.  The future awaits.
Namaste Kalaya

Color Your Life

Oh it's that time of year again.  Where I get all excited because dia de Los Muertos is around the corner.  It's that time when the spirits of the dead come for a visit and I make sugar skulls to remember.
I usually do my traditional white sugar skulls but this year decided to add some color to my life.  After all, dia de los muertos is about celebrating life, remembering the dead, and nothing expresses life more then color! The colors were all inspired by those skull beads you see EVERYWHERE!
If you look closely at the picture below you can see the enamel in sugar form.
These are available now in my store.  I've been updating the site on a weekly basis.  So come on in and see what's new.  Have a great Friday and remember to have fun and breathe!
Namaste Kalaya