When was the last time you played with your friends?
Do adults even have play dates?
I had so much fun playing with my friends the other week that I
had to share the experience.
Don't get me wrong.
I get together with my friends often but it mostly consists of drinking vino and eating.
Not a bad thing at all but what else CAN we do?
I had this idea to make lip balm. I found this cool site about how they made their own lip balm. It looked easy but what did I know?
And besides...tackling a new project is always safer in numbers!
So here is a link to the site that inspired me to make lip balm.
This was a good website but being a trained scientist the recipe was lacking some details and I am ALL
about the details!
Here is what we started with...
- Calendula (Dried-from herb shop here in New Orleans)
- Jars for lip balm
- Essential oils
- Pan for double boiler
- Beeswax (Organic)
- Coconut Oil (Organic)
1. Basically we put the Calendula flowers in a pot and added coconut oil to cover.
2. Placed this itty bitty pot of flowers inside another pot that has water. Thus, the double boiler. Try not to get water in the itty pot of flowers. It's BAD!
At least that is what I am told.
3. Simmer for about 1 hour.
This is the time we look at movie trailers, talk about philosophy, eat an entire pan of creme brulee with STRAWBERRIES, and drink wine.
4. After an hour, strain the flowers away from the coconut.
You can use the boiled water to sterilize the glass containers. Which really doesn't make any sense to me because you will be pouring HOT melted wax and coconut into them. :-/
However, I kind of chuckled when Hal spilled some water on his hand and yelled he was okay!
5. Return the coconut/calendula essence back into the itty bitty flower pot
the flowers and continue to simmer in the double boiler.
6. We added the beeswax pellets to the coconut oil mixture.
(ratio is 1/4 cup of beeswax to 1 cup of coconut oil).
7. When the beeswax melts we then pour this aromatic concoction into the jars. We had all our jars lined up and ready with the essence that was to be added.
8. Once the coconut oil concoction are in the jars we added 4 drops (essence of choice) and stirred with organic bamboo sticks. hahaha....just kidding. We stirred with wood skewers.
The consistency of the lip balm was perfect for me.
As for the scent, I personally liked the calendula with essence of orange. Perfecto!
The calendula/vanilla/lavender was too fragrant for my tastes.
We added some of the calendula flower into the lip balm. You can't really see it after the beeswax becomes solid and it just gets the way but it was FUN!
We made 4 jars of lip balm which is enough to take care of all the lips in
I will attempt to make 10 containers of ~5 oz. on my next journey.
Here are my playmates.
Hal & Melanie
With these two I can do just about anything!
Have a great Friday everyone.