Skip to main content

What to Eat in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Eating in Mexico can be a bit tricky.

First you have got to know where to go and to know where to go you have to know someone who knows!  Second, don't be afraid to eat stuff.

1.  My morning ritual for the best tamales in the city.
Tamale Stand
2.  Then I'd pick up a smoothie which was down the street from the tamale stand and next to Luna de Queso Deli.  Oh and right next to Luna de Queso is a bakery place to get awesome bread!  You would miss it if I didn't tell you.
ANYWAY,
I was kind of freaking out watching him put fresh banana, and then papaya, but then came the frozen strawberries!  OMG!!!  Am I going to get sick?  But my friend said not to worry.  This is a good place to get your smoothie.  Okay surrrrre.

Smoothie Stand

3.  THEN we had a great meal at Diablo Panzon.
Great service, food, atmosphere, and wine.  
It was here that I was introduced to my first Malbec wine.  Nice!
You must go here if you get a chance.
Painted on Diablo Panzon's wall.


4.  Of course we had to go to La Mesa Grande for our pizza and say hi to old friends.
Look at that pizza!
Mmmmm...
See my thumb ring?  hehehehe

5.  The Organic Place
This was not as good as last year.  The service was okay and the prices were a bit high but worth checking out at least once.  
They grow most of their food on site and the bathroom is COOL!



6.  Rincon Guanajuato
Very impressed with their chesseburger and fries.
There's me an Jesse chatting it up.  :)

7.  MX
Very upscale restaurant.
Located inside and outside on top so you can see the beautiful La Parroquia.
The service was great but I didn't enjoy the food as much but Sam and Jesse did.
Painting located at the bottom part of the restaurant as you enter.  I LIKE it!
Maybe I can paint something like this in mi casa!

8.  Home Cooked Meals
We cooked a lot because one, I didn't want Sam to get sick before his big UTMB run in France, and two, because sitting down with friends and making a meal together is just down right nice and relaxing.
That's our good friend Jesse, and his parents.


That's me whipping up some Chicken Panang Curry for mi amigos.  We decided that they needed to taste some authentic Thai food.  
Thanks mom for teaching me how to cook my favorite Thai foods!
Me, Jesse, and Raco

And if you find yourself in the desert well...you can always forage!
Especially if tuna is in season but watch out for them itty bitty thorns.  
Those little red, pinkish things are the fruit and you don't even have to treat them with iodine first!
Tunas!

Now doesn't that just look obscene?!!!
Obscene I tell ya!

Well, that about covers it.  
All the places that we ate at this year.  
Mostly located in the neighborhood of Colonia Allende.

A big muchas gracias to mi amore Sam for taking all the pictures.  That is why you don't see him in any of them but I did manage to get a few.  Muwah!!!
I love this guy!

Here's to a great Friday and weekend.

_/\_
Namaste
Kalaya

Comments

  1. It looks like you had a great time and that pizza looks delicious :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Risk to Bloom

It all started with an acorn button and grew from there. In an earlier post I mentioned this button swap blog hop, that I am participating in, and how I was immediately drawn to the acorn button.  Every day I would hold it in my hand, feel its essence, exam it, and then put it down.  This lasted for about 2 weeks. Then I remembered I had etched an oak tree on to brass when making buttons for my partner Kylie of Lotus Out Loud .  And... so begins the journey of creating something with this wonderful acorn button, which only started yesterday. Haha!  Etched brass was copper riveted to a piece of oak.  Merci beaucoup Papi for finding some oak!   I am using what Jesse taught me in his workshop .  It was the first time trying his technique.  It worked beautifully! The riveted brass was then captured with a piece of pierced copper. Voila! And then the day came  when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to bloom.

South of the border in Oaxaca, Mexico

I've been idle for too long but I have lots to share with you! Oh where to begin?   Let me first say that Oaxaca is a place full of beautiful people.  The city was VERY safe and the place we stayed in was absolutely wonderful.  And the very best thing about it all...the plane ride was only 3.5 hours from New Orleans!  Gotta love that. I don't want to bore you with all the details so I think I will stick to the art side of things.  Oaxaca is known for their textiles but I didn't take any pictures of any textiles.  :(  Lo siento. There was this place that we stumbled upon called La Mano Magica  #26 Macedonio Alcala 203, Centro .  This place had a variety of high end pieces for the taking and a price.  Off to the side we noticed a show going on and I immediately knew the work.  It was the work of ceramicist Alfonso Castillo.  One of the the great folk artist of Mexico.   Eeeee!!! How exciting! FAMILIA CASTILLO Candelabro Ofrenda a mi papa Alfonso died i

The Arrowmont Experience Pt. 1

I know from previous experience that I had to ask the driver to stop at a grocery store before dropping us off at Arrowmont.  I was feeling so good about having all my ducks in order and then this happened! I'm sure I screamed WTH because everyone was looking at me but I wasn't the only one in shock. I was thinking...great!  Now I will have to walk to get my wine.  LOL!!! Arrowmont for 2 entire weeks!  Yeah....Bring it on.  I can do this...roommate annd all. I was in Anne Havel's  All Fired Up: Who Knew a Torch Could Do All This? My notebook for ALLLllllll the notes I'm going to take. OMG!  I don't know where to begin.  I have so much to share.  Let's see... I fell in love with a cup. Annnd...then I bought a cup made by Jason B. Burnett.  He had me at the hexagons. Just an aside here.  I couldn't buy the cup I fell in love with.  Arrowmont has an assortment of ceramic cups in the mess hall to use.  I could post a cup a day on I