Skip to main content

Are You Only As Good As Your Tools?

You may not have used handmade tools or maybe you have.  Either way, you need to see the toys in my tool box.


It has been so hard to blog last week (which I didn't) and this week.  What is going on?  I did manage to pull a post together about tools and if our work (mainly mine) is good without them.  Below are examples of some tools that hang out in the studio.  The post is a mixture of two stories.  One, on how I came to love handmade tools, and Two, if using them improved my work.

Three years ago I was taking a workshop on how to make your own tools when this handmade rivet hammer was placed in my hands.  The curves and the weight of the hammer were so nice to the touch and with every blow my wire rivets looked like they were glistening like diamonds!  hahahaha!!!

So without further ado here are some of the tools I use the most in the
Turquoise Studio.

1.  Rivet Hammer

My very first handmade tool.  

Rivet Hammer handmade by Jesse Bert

2.  Tube Cutter Jig


I make a lot of tube rivets.  I used to just place the tubing into a miter box to make the cuts, and my hand would cramp up, and I got inconsistent tube rivet sizes. 
But then...
last fall I was very excited to receive this tube cutter jig from a friend.  He acquired this from his metal smithing grad school days and it was milled by his professor.
Very Wabi-Sabi!
Tube Cutter Jig

Now I cut the same lengths consistently.  
Right on!


3.  Tube Rivet Tool


In the past I would set the tube rivets using a dapping punch and to be honest they would slip away from me and give me a crooked flare
but then I was given this as a gift from my good friend, Jesse Bert.
Handmade by Jesse Bert

Basically you use each tool from left to right to flare out your tube rivet.  
Notice the graduation of the pointyness from left to right.
No engaging of the brain necessary!  
This works way better then a dapping punch especially if you have a lot of tube riveting to do and my tube rivets look better for it.
Yep...that's my thumb.
Drawing by Ursa Eyer

Are those flares sexy or what?!!!

Drawing by Jacob Reptile Martin
Need I say more!  What a great alligator drawing.  He drew it in 5 minutes!

So are we only as good as our tools?

I for one would like to say YES but it is not that clear cut.  
I believe the answer is yes and no.  
The outcome of a piece is just different.  
Say the difference between something looking 
primitive 
as opposed to looking well executed...
sublime.

When I use a tool that is handmade I actually feel the energy of the artist who made it.  
It is fun to think that I am channeling their energy some how.  
My tube rivet cuts are cleaner and my wire rivets are nice and rounded at the top.  Not only because I used handmade tools but because maybe I used the appropriate tool for the task.

Do you have a tool that you adore?  
Tell me...tell me...

 If anyone would like to acquire one of these magical handmade tools you can contact Jesse Bert.



Namaste
Kalaya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Risk to Bloom

It all started with an acorn button and grew from there. In an earlier post I mentioned this button swap blog hop, that I am participating in, and how I was immediately drawn to the acorn button.  Every day I would hold it in my hand, feel its essence, exam it, and then put it down.  This lasted for about 2 weeks. Then I remembered I had etched an oak tree on to brass when making buttons for my partner Kylie of Lotus Out Loud .  And... so begins the journey of creating something with this wonderful acorn button, which only started yesterday. Haha!  Etched brass was copper riveted to a piece of oak.  Merci beaucoup Papi for finding some oak!   I am using what Jesse taught me in his workshop .  It was the first time trying his technique.  It worked beautifully! The riveted brass was then captured with a piece of pierced copper. Voila! And then the day came  when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to bloom.

Pepe Jump Ring Maker...New Is Not Always Better...

For the follow up (2014) on jump ring makers go here . Introducing Pepe's new AND improved Jump Ring maker... When I received my new jump ring maker I knew the new model was more compact but did not expect it to be so unstable.  It was precarious but I accepted it.  After all I will have jump rings galore with a single swipe!  The outcome outweighed the little difference and yes...I am lazy!  hahaha!!! To the bench I go to test things out. Test No. 1 The first set of jump rings turned out great!  I was satisfied.   ☺ I then received an email saying that the top plate (cover) that came with the system was too thick and needed to be replaced.  Okay.   I receive the new plate but did not test it out until some friends were over and wanted a demo.  Well...it was difficult to place the handpiece collar over the plate.  It did not fit over the coil holding device very well.  I had to finagle it to go in and when I started sawing the handpiece did not move sm

South of the border in Oaxaca, Mexico

I've been idle for too long but I have lots to share with you! Oh where to begin?   Let me first say that Oaxaca is a place full of beautiful people.  The city was VERY safe and the place we stayed in was absolutely wonderful.  And the very best thing about it all...the plane ride was only 3.5 hours from New Orleans!  Gotta love that. I don't want to bore you with all the details so I think I will stick to the art side of things.  Oaxaca is known for their textiles but I didn't take any pictures of any textiles.  :(  Lo siento. There was this place that we stumbled upon called La Mano Magica  #26 Macedonio Alcala 203, Centro .  This place had a variety of high end pieces for the taking and a price.  Off to the side we noticed a show going on and I immediately knew the work.  It was the work of ceramicist Alfonso Castillo.  One of the the great folk artist of Mexico.   Eeeee!!! How exciting! FAMILIA CASTILLO Candelabro Ofrenda a mi papa Alfonso died i