Skip to main content

Are You Only As Good As Your Tools?

You may not have used handmade tools or maybe you have.  Either way, you need to see the toys in my tool box.


It has been so hard to blog last week (which I didn't) and this week.  What is going on?  I did manage to pull a post together about tools and if our work (mainly mine) is good without them.  Below are examples of some tools that hang out in the studio.  The post is a mixture of two stories.  One, on how I came to love handmade tools, and Two, if using them improved my work.

Three years ago I was taking a workshop on how to make your own tools when this handmade rivet hammer was placed in my hands.  The curves and the weight of the hammer were so nice to the touch and with every blow my wire rivets looked like they were glistening like diamonds!  hahahaha!!!

So without further ado here are some of the tools I use the most in the
Turquoise Studio.

1.  Rivet Hammer

My very first handmade tool.  

Rivet Hammer handmade by Jesse Bert

2.  Tube Cutter Jig


I make a lot of tube rivets.  I used to just place the tubing into a miter box to make the cuts, and my hand would cramp up, and I got inconsistent tube rivet sizes. 
But then...
last fall I was very excited to receive this tube cutter jig from a friend.  He acquired this from his metal smithing grad school days and it was milled by his professor.
Very Wabi-Sabi!
Tube Cutter Jig

Now I cut the same lengths consistently.  
Right on!


3.  Tube Rivet Tool


In the past I would set the tube rivets using a dapping punch and to be honest they would slip away from me and give me a crooked flare
but then I was given this as a gift from my good friend, Jesse Bert.
Handmade by Jesse Bert

Basically you use each tool from left to right to flare out your tube rivet.  
Notice the graduation of the pointyness from left to right.
No engaging of the brain necessary!  
This works way better then a dapping punch especially if you have a lot of tube riveting to do and my tube rivets look better for it.
Yep...that's my thumb.
Drawing by Ursa Eyer

Are those flares sexy or what?!!!

Drawing by Jacob Reptile Martin
Need I say more!  What a great alligator drawing.  He drew it in 5 minutes!

So are we only as good as our tools?

I for one would like to say YES but it is not that clear cut.  
I believe the answer is yes and no.  
The outcome of a piece is just different.  
Say the difference between something looking 
primitive 
as opposed to looking well executed...
sublime.

When I use a tool that is handmade I actually feel the energy of the artist who made it.  
It is fun to think that I am channeling their energy some how.  
My tube rivet cuts are cleaner and my wire rivets are nice and rounded at the top.  Not only because I used handmade tools but because maybe I used the appropriate tool for the task.

Do you have a tool that you adore?  
Tell me...tell me...

 If anyone would like to acquire one of these magical handmade tools you can contact Jesse Bert.



Namaste
Kalaya

Popular posts from this blog

Production...Duction What's Your Function?

Every now and then a little elf steps into the studio while I am working and starts asking these annoying questions.

What are you doing?
Why are you wasting your time working on that?
PRODUCTION WORK?!!!
WTH?!!!

He (yep the little bugger is a "he"), I shall name him Doubt, infects my mind from time to time.  
This all happened last Friday while making some of my New Orleans'  Token pendants.

So I reached down deep inside me to think about the "why".  I thought about it because I was running towards something else and resisting the moment.

As I sat there at my bench working on this particular token pendant here is what came to me.
These particular tokens were minted in 1947 and 1970.  They differ only on what is said on the back (1947 - "One Base Fare" and 1970 - "One Cash Fare") .
 The ones I use for my pendants are minted in 1947.  

I do not clean them up.  Instead I examine them, hold them, turn them over in my hand, and then begin my work.  
I do not…

For The Love Of Bees!!!

Did I ever tell y'all that I absolutely adore bees? I think they are the most amazing beings on the planet.  Well...at this moment I did.  I saw this piece of furniture at University of British Columbia outside its bookstore.  I'm like cool man.  What is this? This totally inspired me.  Yes I looked inside this tiny cells to see if anything was inside but to my disappointment no.
I heard a woman say, hey look at that.  I bet there are bees inside.  Hahahaha!!!  No silly woman.  Tricks are for kids!  hahaha  Cute...very cute that she thought that.
This piece of art/furniture sparked curiosity and that is the AWESOMist thing EVER!  But what is more cool is THIS... Did y'all read that?  Shrooms helped make them.  What a great collaborative endeavor.  How long does a piece of furniture like this last? I have no clue but talk about impermanence. 
I LOVE IT! So there you have it folks.  The future awaits.
Namaste Kalaya

Color Your Life

Oh it's that time of year again.  Where I get all excited because dia de Los Muertos is around the corner.  It's that time when the spirits of the dead come for a visit and I make sugar skulls to remember.
I usually do my traditional white sugar skulls but this year decided to add some color to my life.  After all, dia de los muertos is about celebrating life, remembering the dead, and nothing expresses life more then color! The colors were all inspired by those skull beads you see EVERYWHERE!
If you look closely at the picture below you can see the enamel in sugar form.
These are available now in my store.  I've been updating the site on a weekly basis.  So come on in and see what's new.  Have a great Friday and remember to have fun and breathe!
Namaste Kalaya