Skip to main content

The Voices

Yeeeeees...there have been voices in my head.
And they are asking me questions.
Especially after the last market where I did not sell a single new piece.

I question whether I am making pieces that are appealing (maybe appalling hehehe) or maybe my prices are too high?
AND
maybe I should be making smaller pieces which equates to less expensive pieces?
OR
if I should just give it all up?
*sigh*

I actually made a piece using gold instead of a more interesting, rusty bottle cap.  Just to give the piece more "worth".
Oooooo...
I like those earrings!

Intentions

WOW!  I am taking myself waaay too serious.
Okay, let us start over.
Mantra...
I must make the things my spirit wants to make.
Sooooo....
let us begin.
Starting with a piece of turquoise.
Giving to me by a friend.  Do you see what I see?
I wonder?
This is a pretty big chunk of turquoise.  Sadly I did not want to make a custom bezel so decided on prong setting it.
Wow!  Now I want to bezel set it.  NO!
Those voices are talking again.  I must continue with my plan.
The back was made with 20g copper.
I pierced a design around edges.  Since I am into snakes these days I made little snakey things to go around the turquoise.  I also pierced the back with circles so you could see both sides of the stone.
Back side of the piece.
"Be Still" was stamped on the back.  Thanks to Mary Jane.
My mind needed stillness.

There was a slight design modification.
This is going to be a gift to my friend for her 50th birthday.  Therefore,
I had to make this pendant into a brooch as well because I was watching Drop Dead Diva
and the girl kept saying, "No one wears a brooch under 50!".
hahahaha
My little humor for mi amiga.
Anyway the back pin will cover the words.  :(
Oh well!
Prongs are all in place.  I had to have moved one prong 3 TIMES!
CRAZY!
Check the fit.
AGAIN!!!
Yay!  The stone fit in there nicely and was not a rattling.  Although that would be kind of cool considering the snakey things!

The bail and the back pin will be riveted on but before all that can happen I must clean up all my solder mess.

I leave you with these words I read from Andy Cooperman...

The riskiest thing that you can do is to be safe.

Namaste
Kalaya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note To My Readers

Dear Friends,
My gallery has decided to move and it saddens me to say that I will not be going with them.  I have broken away from the herd.
So what now?
This is what I ask myself and to be honest I do not know.  
I turn to you.
The ones who come back to read...to listen to my failures, successes, and my angst.  I am grateful that you are still here.

The Society of North American Goldsmiths (SNAG) was here in New Orleans.  I was so thrilled.  I made new friends and visited with old friends and we had a blast!

Halstead held an exhibition along with SNAG at RHINO Contemporary Gallery.  200 kits went out and 30 pieces were selected for the Halstead Design Challenge.  My piece, What's Her Story? was selected to be among one of the 30.  I was so honored.
_/\_
Inspired by the women of Storyville and Bellocq's photography this brooch is the first in its series.
The story behind the story.
Every woman has a story, especially the women of Storyville (red-light district of New Orleans from 1897-19…

Mandalas

Mandalas have been on my mind a lot lately.  Struggling to find my truth.  I find making these in the studio calms me.
Even though I knew that hard solder melts at 1450 degrees I still had to try enameling the copper.  In theory the solder should not have run.  If I only took it out of the kiln a minute sooner this may not have happened. A total melt down but I love that color!  :) My intention for the above mandala was a ring.  The challenge was difficult but I managed to make it. I feel myself pivoting once again and feeling the need to create amulets and talismans but in sculpture form.

Each person's life is like a mandala - vast, limitless circle. We stand in the center of our own circle, and everything we see, hear and think forms the mandala of our life...everything that shows up in your mandala is a vehicle for your awakening.

~Pema Chodron

Namaste Kalaya

The Arrowmont Experience Pt. 1

I know from previous experience that I had to ask the driver to stop at a grocery store before dropping us off at Arrowmont.  I was feeling so good about having all my ducks in order and then this happened! I'm sure I screamed WTH because everyone was looking at me but I wasn't the only one in shock.
I was thinking...great!  Now I will have to walk to get my wine.  LOL!!!

Arrowmont for 2 entire weeks!  Yeah....Bring it on.  I can do this...roommate annd all.
I was in Anne Havel's All Fired Up: Who Knew a Torch Could Do All This?
My notebook for ALLLllllll the notes I'm going to take.
OMG!  I don't know where to begin.  I have so much to share.  Let's see...
I fell in love with a cup.
Annnd...then I bought a cup made by Jason B. Burnett.  He had me at the hexagons. Just an aside here.  I couldn't buy the cup I fell in love with.  Arrowmont has an assortment of ceramic cups in the mess hall to use.  I could post a cup a day on Insta but my friend did that.  …