Skip to main content

Getting It Done

"A man, a plan, a canal, Panama"

Like I said in my Facebook post...it starts with a vision and then becomes a reality.
by Kalaya Steede
I am sure this happens to most of you.  Friends and family just hand you stuff and say, can you make something out of this?

Sure...because I have the power!!!  Hahaha!!!
In reality the object can, and will, and HAS sat on my bench for months, sometimes years until inspiration strikes.

My inspiration was my friend, Tysheena, turning 30 years old.
At first I was given a guitar pick that she is currently using but me being all sentimental and stuff asked for something a little more personal.
I said...How about giving me you very FIRST guitar pick?  
And so she did and it too sat on my bench for about a year.

When I make a piece I usually start off with a plan and try to visualize how the piece is going to look like and make some notes.  I decided that I was going to get out of my way and just do it!
The Plan
Now comes execution...
Sometimes the plan changes.  
It does not happen often because I can really make more work for myself if I change midway without thinking it through but these were minor changes.  
For example, I decided at the last minute to cut that "T" out of the pick and instead of riveting straight on to the metal I will add a spacer between the metal and the pick to give the piece some depth.

The picture below should give you an idea about how big the pick is.
My trustee old bench pin.
 I also added texture to the outside of the pick and added a little color to it to make it pop out and age it a bit.  I used brown shoe polish.  That stuff is great!
Piercing the "T"
Next is the metal, cut, file, and texture.
All cut out and ready to Rock!
Do not ignore the back.  The back side of a piece is just as important as the front.  It says that the artist looked at every angle of the piece and loved every part of it.  Hehehe!!!
X's and O's
Once you are pleased with the filing and texture now it is time to patina and rivet.  I cannot stress this enough.  You must rivet one hole at a time, drill, place rivet (does not have to be set) and drill the next hole.  If you do not do this your holes will not meet up.  Usually I will drill and rivet in place and repeat but since there are spacers I cannot do that.  Well, I could but that will make it a little challenging!
Keeping it all together
Drilling very carefully
Holes are drilled and Humpty Dumpty is ready to be put together.
Ready to Roll!
Panama!
Voilà
Backside...
Because I just cannot be ignored!
Annnnd that is how the cookie crumbles people!

Hope everyone is enjoying their Friday and if you are in NOLA 
a HOT 
and 
WHO DAT Friday!

Namaste
Kalaya

Comments

  1. That's a great design. I love that you used the spacers and cut-out to give it depth. It's so much more interesting that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Libellula! I really like adding dimension if I can. See you soon! XO

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Risk to Bloom

It all started with an acorn button and grew from there. In an earlier post I mentioned this button swap blog hop, that I am participating in, and how I was immediately drawn to the acorn button.  Every day I would hold it in my hand, feel its essence, exam it, and then put it down.  This lasted for about 2 weeks. Then I remembered I had etched an oak tree on to brass when making buttons for my partner Kylie of Lotus Out Loud .  And... so begins the journey of creating something with this wonderful acorn button, which only started yesterday. Haha!  Etched brass was copper riveted to a piece of oak.  Merci beaucoup Papi for finding some oak!   I am using what Jesse taught me in his workshop .  It was the first time trying his technique.  It worked beautifully! The riveted brass was then captured with a piece of pierced copper. Voila! And then the day came  when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to bloom.

South of the border in Oaxaca, Mexico

I've been idle for too long but I have lots to share with you! Oh where to begin?   Let me first say that Oaxaca is a place full of beautiful people.  The city was VERY safe and the place we stayed in was absolutely wonderful.  And the very best thing about it all...the plane ride was only 3.5 hours from New Orleans!  Gotta love that. I don't want to bore you with all the details so I think I will stick to the art side of things.  Oaxaca is known for their textiles but I didn't take any pictures of any textiles.  :(  Lo siento. There was this place that we stumbled upon called La Mano Magica  #26 Macedonio Alcala 203, Centro .  This place had a variety of high end pieces for the taking and a price.  Off to the side we noticed a show going on and I immediately knew the work.  It was the work of ceramicist Alfonso Castillo.  One of the the great folk artist of Mexico.   Eeeee!!! How exciting! FAMILIA CASTILLO Candelabro Ofrenda a mi papa Alfonso died i

The Arrowmont Experience Pt. 1

I know from previous experience that I had to ask the driver to stop at a grocery store before dropping us off at Arrowmont.  I was feeling so good about having all my ducks in order and then this happened! I'm sure I screamed WTH because everyone was looking at me but I wasn't the only one in shock. I was thinking...great!  Now I will have to walk to get my wine.  LOL!!! Arrowmont for 2 entire weeks!  Yeah....Bring it on.  I can do this...roommate annd all. I was in Anne Havel's  All Fired Up: Who Knew a Torch Could Do All This? My notebook for ALLLllllll the notes I'm going to take. OMG!  I don't know where to begin.  I have so much to share.  Let's see... I fell in love with a cup. Annnd...then I bought a cup made by Jason B. Burnett.  He had me at the hexagons. Just an aside here.  I couldn't buy the cup I fell in love with.  Arrowmont has an assortment of ceramic cups in the mess hall to use.  I could post a cup a day on I