Skip to main content

What Big Prongs You Have...

Just a few days ago I finished setting two vintage glass cabochons from a friend.

First the sketch of the setting.  This is where I try to decide how big, what gauge metal, where the stone will go, and where the prongs will go but most importantly for me is what and where the bail will go.  I decided to use a riveted bail so I made sure to design the back plate for it.  

Okay...sawed the shape and center punched where the prongs will be placed.  I drilled holes so that an 14 gauge wire would fit nice and snug.  
Next, solder, pickle, solder, pickle, and finally cleaning it up!  Yes...I had to solder a few times.  Sometimes those suckers do not want to stay put.  Not my fault at all!  hahaha!!!

Finally I get to patina, buff it up, rivet the bail, and now it is time for it to receive the vintage glass.  The setting of the stone or piece is always last.  Which means...this is also the point where you can mess things up!  

I placed the stone inside the prongs, and bent over the wire (holding breadth here), and sniped off the excess.  Whew!  
Breathe Kalaya!!!
I am happy to say that the glass did not shatter to a million pieces but it could of according to my friend.   They commented that the prongs were kind of big and I run the risk in damaging the piece if it is glass or ceramic.  Good point!  I would not want that to happen!  So for the second setting I used 18 gauge wire for the prongs.

The glass has a little play which I do not like at all but it is a done deal.

Here is the second piece.  The prongs are smaller and there is no play with the glass.  Yay... success!!!

Back to the bench for me, after I go make groceries.  Did I ever mention that I absolutely do not like to make groceries?  Well I do not but a girl has to eat!  :)

Have a great week people!!!

Namaste
Kalaya

Comments

  1. Beautiful work! Do you know if the vintage cabs are German, Czech, etc.? They look familiar but I can't place where I've seen something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi amiga says it's German glass and the pattern was referred to as fireworks. She got it like a decade ago! I like saying "decade". It sounds so long ago. Getting ready for Mardi Gras are you? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's heresy but I'm not really a Mardi Gras kind of person. The rest of carnival is fine (bring on the Praline Connection & Cake Café king cakes)but the big day is a little too big for me! And, my husband got mardi Gras'd out as a kid with all the marching in the band.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note To My Readers

Dear Friends,
My gallery has decided to move and it saddens me to say that I will not be going with them.  I have broken away from the herd.
So what now?
This is what I ask myself and to be honest I do not know.  
I turn to you.
The ones who come back to read...to listen to my failures, successes, and my angst.  I am grateful that you are still here.

The Society of North American Goldsmiths (SNAG) was here in New Orleans.  I was so thrilled.  I made new friends and visited with old friends and we had a blast!

Halstead held an exhibition along with SNAG at RHINO Contemporary Gallery.  200 kits went out and 30 pieces were selected for the Halstead Design Challenge.  My piece, What's Her Story? was selected to be among one of the 30.  I was so honored.
_/\_
Inspired by the women of Storyville and Bellocq's photography this brooch is the first in its series.
The story behind the story.
Every woman has a story, especially the women of Storyville (red-light district of New Orleans from 1897-19…

Mandalas

Mandalas have been on my mind a lot lately.  Struggling to find my truth.  I find making these in the studio calms me.
Even though I knew that hard solder melts at 1450 degrees I still had to try enameling the copper.  In theory the solder should not have run.  If I only took it out of the kiln a minute sooner this may not have happened. A total melt down but I love that color!  :) My intention for the above mandala was a ring.  The challenge was difficult but I managed to make it. I feel myself pivoting once again and feeling the need to create amulets and talismans but in sculpture form.

Each person's life is like a mandala - vast, limitless circle. We stand in the center of our own circle, and everything we see, hear and think forms the mandala of our life...everything that shows up in your mandala is a vehicle for your awakening.

~Pema Chodron

Namaste Kalaya

The Arrowmont Experience Pt. 1

I know from previous experience that I had to ask the driver to stop at a grocery store before dropping us off at Arrowmont.  I was feeling so good about having all my ducks in order and then this happened! I'm sure I screamed WTH because everyone was looking at me but I wasn't the only one in shock.
I was thinking...great!  Now I will have to walk to get my wine.  LOL!!!

Arrowmont for 2 entire weeks!  Yeah....Bring it on.  I can do this...roommate annd all.
I was in Anne Havel's All Fired Up: Who Knew a Torch Could Do All This?
My notebook for ALLLllllll the notes I'm going to take.
OMG!  I don't know where to begin.  I have so much to share.  Let's see...
I fell in love with a cup.
Annnd...then I bought a cup made by Jason B. Burnett.  He had me at the hexagons. Just an aside here.  I couldn't buy the cup I fell in love with.  Arrowmont has an assortment of ceramic cups in the mess hall to use.  I could post a cup a day on Insta but my friend did that.  …