Skip to main content

Introducing El Maestro Jesse Bert

Usually I post on Fridays but I did not know that Friday already passed.  It is great not knowing what day it is.  What a blissful life. Ha!


I just finished taking a workshop with visiting artist, Jesse Bert, last week at Thomas Mann studioFLUX here in NOLA.  It was pretty amazing! I do not think I have the words to describe my experience.  There is so much I want to share but I will try and keep it simple.  So...let me introduce you to El Maestro.
Jesse
Jesse is originally from the U.S.  Although you would not have guessed it. Anyway one day he followed his heart to San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato in Mexico and decided to stay and to never return.  Just kidding, he does come back to visit the states every now then.  What a romantic notion to runaway to Mexico, hmmm. I digress.   


Jesse likes to incorporate recycled and found objects into his sculptural pieces.  I particularly like the details you see on every single piece. Which are unique only to him since his tools were created by him personally.   
Silver stamped by hand, torched fired enamel, ivory recycled from antique piano keys, antique bakelite by Jesse Bert  
The workshop that I attended was about making tools.  To be honest I do not know why I wanted to learn how to do this but the universe just has a way of speaking to me.  So I signed up.
Watch those fingers Staci!
Here are the tools that I made with help of course.



The second day we forged.  We made this tool that is primarily used to do tin work in Mexico.  Oh how fun to wail on something.  
Getting our frustrations out on an inanimate object.
Jesse, Angele, ME, and Phyllis
My fork!
So...at the end of 3 days what do I have to show for it?  Absolutely nothing!  I rarely have a completed piece at the end of any workshop.  Well...I should say, "I NEVER have a completed piece" but Phyllis did.
Phyllis - Que lindo!
Phyllis's final piece.  AMAZING!
Those of you who missed Jesse's workshop: Mexican Stamp and Tool Making, can take it this July at 92Y in New York.  Jesse also teaches at his studio, across Mexico, and in the U.S. To find out more go to his website here.

Thomas Mann's Gallery located at 1810 Magazine Street has a Special Exhibition showcasing Jesse's work.    Click here to get a glimpse of what is currently there but the gallery has much more.

The journey was sweet.  

Walk lightly even though you feel deeply.


Namaste
Kalaya

Comments

  1. DEAR FRIEND--I LOVE YOU DEARLY, BUT THAT PHOTO OF ME IS HIDEOUS!! THANKS FOR KIND REMARKS ABOUT MY PIN--IT WAS SO MUCH FUN TAKING A CLASS WITH JESSE; HE'S DA BOMB!! PHYLLIS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh...I Love You Too and I LOVE that picture!!! Yeah you right, Phyllis. Jesse is a lot of fun! XO

      Delete
    2. Nice blog Girly! Your work is very cooooollll.. you may make something with a skull for me anytime..really love those and the red heart is very nice. Take care and I hope you enjoyed Jazz Fest..your art sister--Phyllis

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note To My Readers

Dear Friends,
My gallery has decided to move and it saddens me to say that I will not be going with them.  I have broken away from the herd.
So what now?
This is what I ask myself and to be honest I do not know.  
I turn to you.
The ones who come back to read...to listen to my failures, successes, and my angst.  I am grateful that you are still here.

The Society of North American Goldsmiths (SNAG) was here in New Orleans.  I was so thrilled.  I made new friends and visited with old friends and we had a blast!

Halstead held an exhibition along with SNAG at RHINO Contemporary Gallery.  200 kits went out and 30 pieces were selected for the Halstead Design Challenge.  My piece, What's Her Story? was selected to be among one of the 30.  I was so honored.
_/\_
Inspired by the women of Storyville and Bellocq's photography this brooch is the first in its series.
The story behind the story.
Every woman has a story, especially the women of Storyville (red-light district of New Orleans from 1897-19…

Mandalas

Mandalas have been on my mind a lot lately.  Struggling to find my truth.  I find making these in the studio calms me.
Even though I knew that hard solder melts at 1450 degrees I still had to try enameling the copper.  In theory the solder should not have run.  If I only took it out of the kiln a minute sooner this may not have happened. A total melt down but I love that color!  :) My intention for the above mandala was a ring.  The challenge was difficult but I managed to make it. I feel myself pivoting once again and feeling the need to create amulets and talismans but in sculpture form.

Each person's life is like a mandala - vast, limitless circle. We stand in the center of our own circle, and everything we see, hear and think forms the mandala of our life...everything that shows up in your mandala is a vehicle for your awakening.

~Pema Chodron

Namaste Kalaya

The Arrowmont Experience Pt. 1

I know from previous experience that I had to ask the driver to stop at a grocery store before dropping us off at Arrowmont.  I was feeling so good about having all my ducks in order and then this happened! I'm sure I screamed WTH because everyone was looking at me but I wasn't the only one in shock.
I was thinking...great!  Now I will have to walk to get my wine.  LOL!!!

Arrowmont for 2 entire weeks!  Yeah....Bring it on.  I can do this...roommate annd all.
I was in Anne Havel's All Fired Up: Who Knew a Torch Could Do All This?
My notebook for ALLLllllll the notes I'm going to take.
OMG!  I don't know where to begin.  I have so much to share.  Let's see...
I fell in love with a cup.
Annnd...then I bought a cup made by Jason B. Burnett.  He had me at the hexagons. Just an aside here.  I couldn't buy the cup I fell in love with.  Arrowmont has an assortment of ceramic cups in the mess hall to use.  I could post a cup a day on Insta but my friend did that.  …