Skip to main content

Introducing El Maestro Jesse Bert

Usually I post on Fridays but I did not know that Friday already passed.  It is great not knowing what day it is.  What a blissful life. Ha!


I just finished taking a workshop with visiting artist, Jesse Bert, last week at Thomas Mann studioFLUX here in NOLA.  It was pretty amazing! I do not think I have the words to describe my experience.  There is so much I want to share but I will try and keep it simple.  So...let me introduce you to El Maestro.
Jesse
Jesse is originally from the U.S.  Although you would not have guessed it. Anyway one day he followed his heart to San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato in Mexico and decided to stay and to never return.  Just kidding, he does come back to visit the states every now then.  What a romantic notion to runaway to Mexico, hmmm. I digress.   


Jesse likes to incorporate recycled and found objects into his sculptural pieces.  I particularly like the details you see on every single piece. Which are unique only to him since his tools were created by him personally.   
Silver stamped by hand, torched fired enamel, ivory recycled from antique piano keys, antique bakelite by Jesse Bert  
The workshop that I attended was about making tools.  To be honest I do not know why I wanted to learn how to do this but the universe just has a way of speaking to me.  So I signed up.
Watch those fingers Staci!
Here are the tools that I made with help of course.



The second day we forged.  We made this tool that is primarily used to do tin work in Mexico.  Oh how fun to wail on something.  
Getting our frustrations out on an inanimate object.
Jesse, Angele, ME, and Phyllis
My fork!
So...at the end of 3 days what do I have to show for it?  Absolutely nothing!  I rarely have a completed piece at the end of any workshop.  Well...I should say, "I NEVER have a completed piece" but Phyllis did.
Phyllis - Que lindo!
Phyllis's final piece.  AMAZING!
Those of you who missed Jesse's workshop: Mexican Stamp and Tool Making, can take it this July at 92Y in New York.  Jesse also teaches at his studio, across Mexico, and in the U.S. To find out more go to his website here.

Thomas Mann's Gallery located at 1810 Magazine Street has a Special Exhibition showcasing Jesse's work.    Click here to get a glimpse of what is currently there but the gallery has much more.

The journey was sweet.  

Walk lightly even though you feel deeply.


Namaste
Kalaya

Comments

  1. DEAR FRIEND--I LOVE YOU DEARLY, BUT THAT PHOTO OF ME IS HIDEOUS!! THANKS FOR KIND REMARKS ABOUT MY PIN--IT WAS SO MUCH FUN TAKING A CLASS WITH JESSE; HE'S DA BOMB!! PHYLLIS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh...I Love You Too and I LOVE that picture!!! Yeah you right, Phyllis. Jesse is a lot of fun! XO

      Delete
    2. Nice blog Girly! Your work is very cooooollll.. you may make something with a skull for me anytime..really love those and the red heart is very nice. Take care and I hope you enjoyed Jazz Fest..your art sister--Phyllis

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Risk to Bloom

It all started with an acorn button and grew from there. In an earlier post I mentioned this button swap blog hop, that I am participating in, and how I was immediately drawn to the acorn button.  Every day I would hold it in my hand, feel its essence, exam it, and then put it down.  This lasted for about 2 weeks. Then I remembered I had etched an oak tree on to brass when making buttons for my partner Kylie of Lotus Out Loud .  And... so begins the journey of creating something with this wonderful acorn button, which only started yesterday. Haha!  Etched brass was copper riveted to a piece of oak.  Merci beaucoup Papi for finding some oak!   I am using what Jesse taught me in his workshop .  It was the first time trying his technique.  It worked beautifully! The riveted brass was then captured with a piece of pierced copper. Voila! And then the day came  when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to bloom.

Pepe Jump Ring Maker...New Is Not Always Better...

For the follow up (2014) on jump ring makers go here . Introducing Pepe's new AND improved Jump Ring maker... When I received my new jump ring maker I knew the new model was more compact but did not expect it to be so unstable.  It was precarious but I accepted it.  After all I will have jump rings galore with a single swipe!  The outcome outweighed the little difference and yes...I am lazy!  hahaha!!! To the bench I go to test things out. Test No. 1 The first set of jump rings turned out great!  I was satisfied.   ☺ I then received an email saying that the top plate (cover) that came with the system was too thick and needed to be replaced.  Okay.   I receive the new plate but did not test it out until some friends were over and wanted a demo.  Well...it was difficult to place the handpiece collar over the plate.  It did not fit over the coil holding device very well.  I had to finagle it to go in and when I started sawing the handpiece did not move sm

South of the border in Oaxaca, Mexico

I've been idle for too long but I have lots to share with you! Oh where to begin?   Let me first say that Oaxaca is a place full of beautiful people.  The city was VERY safe and the place we stayed in was absolutely wonderful.  And the very best thing about it all...the plane ride was only 3.5 hours from New Orleans!  Gotta love that. I don't want to bore you with all the details so I think I will stick to the art side of things.  Oaxaca is known for their textiles but I didn't take any pictures of any textiles.  :(  Lo siento. There was this place that we stumbled upon called La Mano Magica  #26 Macedonio Alcala 203, Centro .  This place had a variety of high end pieces for the taking and a price.  Off to the side we noticed a show going on and I immediately knew the work.  It was the work of ceramicist Alfonso Castillo.  One of the the great folk artist of Mexico.   Eeeee!!! How exciting! FAMILIA CASTILLO Candelabro Ofrenda a mi papa Alfonso died i