Skip to main content

Something Just For Me

Leather Bracelet
Thanks to Sue, a friend of mine, I was inspired to make this bracelet.
It fits me perfectly! Who'd of thought? Anyway the focal point is some sort of carved stone. I'm guessing nephrite but I could be wrong. Materials:
1. 1 yd. 1.8 mm leather
2. Focal point with four holes drilled
3. Brass 4mm roundel beads
4. African brass end bead
5. Two skulls for accents at the end
I used cross knots in the design. It has a good weight to it but not too heavy and it's all for ME!
I will show it off today and see if anyone notices it.

Merci Sue!

My Very First End Bead!
 Oh how I wish I took a picture of the process for you but I didn't. However, it wasn't very complicated.

Start with a 16mm silver disc. Dome it slightly, or not. It all depends on what tools you have. I have a small wooden block so I couldn't make it too deep. A small jump ring big enough for 1.8mm leather to go through. 
1. Solder the jump ring on to the disc. Do this carefully. On my first attempt I let the jump ring get too hot and it broke in three places! I was looking all over for the pieces. It made me feel better to find them all. Glad it didn't hit me instead. In case you are wondering I have a fire extinguisher. One should always be prepared.
Okay, lets try this again.


-On a soldering board do the following...
-Flux the inside of the disc and get a little of it on your jump ring (that you are holding with your soldering tweezers). 
-Pick up a tiny bit of hard solder using your jump ring as a pick.
-Solder on to disc.
-Quench in water and remove fire scale. This can be done by using pickle or my favorite, a 3M radial bristle disc 80 grit, only because I'm too impatient to wait for pickle.


Since this was a small piece I was able to use my small butane torch (purchased at the local hardware store).
2.  Patinated the whole piece.
3. Coat with museum wax and buff.
4. Voila! My first end bead.
Here's to a great Friday! 
Have fun and enjoy every minute of it.

And to those of you who are in Irene's path, stay safe.

Namaste
Kalaya

Comments

  1. love both of them!
    what have you got planned for this weekend...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Amber. That bracelet was a lot of fun to make. No big plans for the weekend. Just staying home and kicking back. I should read a book! XO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note To My Readers

Dear Friends,
My gallery has decided to move and it saddens me to say that I will not be going with them.  I have broken away from the herd.
So what now?
This is what I ask myself and to be honest I do not know.  
I turn to you.
The ones who come back to read...to listen to my failures, successes, and my angst.  I am grateful that you are still here.

The Society of North American Goldsmiths (SNAG) was here in New Orleans.  I was so thrilled.  I made new friends and visited with old friends and we had a blast!

Halstead held an exhibition along with SNAG at RHINO Contemporary Gallery.  200 kits went out and 30 pieces were selected for the Halstead Design Challenge.  My piece, What's Her Story? was selected to be among one of the 30.  I was so honored.
_/\_
Inspired by the women of Storyville and Bellocq's photography this brooch is the first in its series.
The story behind the story.
Every woman has a story, especially the women of Storyville (red-light district of New Orleans from 1897-19…

Mandalas

Mandalas have been on my mind a lot lately.  Struggling to find my truth.  I find making these in the studio calms me.
Even though I knew that hard solder melts at 1450 degrees I still had to try enameling the copper.  In theory the solder should not have run.  If I only took it out of the kiln a minute sooner this may not have happened. A total melt down but I love that color!  :) My intention for the above mandala was a ring.  The challenge was difficult but I managed to make it. I feel myself pivoting once again and feeling the need to create amulets and talismans but in sculpture form.

Each person's life is like a mandala - vast, limitless circle. We stand in the center of our own circle, and everything we see, hear and think forms the mandala of our life...everything that shows up in your mandala is a vehicle for your awakening.

~Pema Chodron

Namaste Kalaya

The Arrowmont Experience Pt. 1

I know from previous experience that I had to ask the driver to stop at a grocery store before dropping us off at Arrowmont.  I was feeling so good about having all my ducks in order and then this happened! I'm sure I screamed WTH because everyone was looking at me but I wasn't the only one in shock.
I was thinking...great!  Now I will have to walk to get my wine.  LOL!!!

Arrowmont for 2 entire weeks!  Yeah....Bring it on.  I can do this...roommate annd all.
I was in Anne Havel's All Fired Up: Who Knew a Torch Could Do All This?
My notebook for ALLLllllll the notes I'm going to take.
OMG!  I don't know where to begin.  I have so much to share.  Let's see...
I fell in love with a cup.
Annnd...then I bought a cup made by Jason B. Burnett.  He had me at the hexagons. Just an aside here.  I couldn't buy the cup I fell in love with.  Arrowmont has an assortment of ceramic cups in the mess hall to use.  I could post a cup a day on Insta but my friend did that.  …