Skip to main content

Something Just For Me

Leather Bracelet
Thanks to Sue, a friend of mine, I was inspired to make this bracelet.
It fits me perfectly! Who'd of thought? Anyway the focal point is some sort of carved stone. I'm guessing nephrite but I could be wrong. Materials:
1. 1 yd. 1.8 mm leather
2. Focal point with four holes drilled
3. Brass 4mm roundel beads
4. African brass end bead
5. Two skulls for accents at the end
I used cross knots in the design. It has a good weight to it but not too heavy and it's all for ME!
I will show it off today and see if anyone notices it.

Merci Sue!

My Very First End Bead!
 Oh how I wish I took a picture of the process for you but I didn't. However, it wasn't very complicated.

Start with a 16mm silver disc. Dome it slightly, or not. It all depends on what tools you have. I have a small wooden block so I couldn't make it too deep. A small jump ring big enough for 1.8mm leather to go through. 
1. Solder the jump ring on to the disc. Do this carefully. On my first attempt I let the jump ring get too hot and it broke in three places! I was looking all over for the pieces. It made me feel better to find them all. Glad it didn't hit me instead. In case you are wondering I have a fire extinguisher. One should always be prepared.
Okay, lets try this again.


-On a soldering board do the following...
-Flux the inside of the disc and get a little of it on your jump ring (that you are holding with your soldering tweezers). 
-Pick up a tiny bit of hard solder using your jump ring as a pick.
-Solder on to disc.
-Quench in water and remove fire scale. This can be done by using pickle or my favorite, a 3M radial bristle disc 80 grit, only because I'm too impatient to wait for pickle.


Since this was a small piece I was able to use my small butane torch (purchased at the local hardware store).
2.  Patinated the whole piece.
3. Coat with museum wax and buff.
4. Voila! My first end bead.
Here's to a great Friday! 
Have fun and enjoy every minute of it.

And to those of you who are in Irene's path, stay safe.

Namaste
Kalaya

Comments

  1. love both of them!
    what have you got planned for this weekend...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Amber. That bracelet was a lot of fun to make. No big plans for the weekend. Just staying home and kicking back. I should read a book! XO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Risk to Bloom

It all started with an acorn button and grew from there. In an earlier post I mentioned this button swap blog hop, that I am participating in, and how I was immediately drawn to the acorn button.  Every day I would hold it in my hand, feel its essence, exam it, and then put it down.  This lasted for about 2 weeks. Then I remembered I had etched an oak tree on to brass when making buttons for my partner Kylie of Lotus Out Loud .  And... so begins the journey of creating something with this wonderful acorn button, which only started yesterday. Haha!  Etched brass was copper riveted to a piece of oak.  Merci beaucoup Papi for finding some oak!   I am using what Jesse taught me in his workshop .  It was the first time trying his technique.  It worked beautifully! The riveted brass was then captured with a piece of pierced copper. Voila! And then the day came  when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to bloom.

Pepe Jump Ring Maker...New Is Not Always Better...

For the follow up (2014) on jump ring makers go here . Introducing Pepe's new AND improved Jump Ring maker... When I received my new jump ring maker I knew the new model was more compact but did not expect it to be so unstable.  It was precarious but I accepted it.  After all I will have jump rings galore with a single swipe!  The outcome outweighed the little difference and yes...I am lazy!  hahaha!!! To the bench I go to test things out. Test No. 1 The first set of jump rings turned out great!  I was satisfied.   ☺ I then received an email saying that the top plate (cover) that came with the system was too thick and needed to be replaced.  Okay.   I receive the new plate but did not test it out until some friends were over and wanted a demo.  Well...it was difficult to place the handpiece collar over the plate.  It did not fit over the coil holding device very well.  I had to finagle it to go in and when I started sawing the handpiece did not move sm

South of the border in Oaxaca, Mexico

I've been idle for too long but I have lots to share with you! Oh where to begin?   Let me first say that Oaxaca is a place full of beautiful people.  The city was VERY safe and the place we stayed in was absolutely wonderful.  And the very best thing about it all...the plane ride was only 3.5 hours from New Orleans!  Gotta love that. I don't want to bore you with all the details so I think I will stick to the art side of things.  Oaxaca is known for their textiles but I didn't take any pictures of any textiles.  :(  Lo siento. There was this place that we stumbled upon called La Mano Magica  #26 Macedonio Alcala 203, Centro .  This place had a variety of high end pieces for the taking and a price.  Off to the side we noticed a show going on and I immediately knew the work.  It was the work of ceramicist Alfonso Castillo.  One of the the great folk artist of Mexico.   Eeeee!!! How exciting! FAMILIA CASTILLO Candelabro Ofrenda a mi papa Alfonso died i